The Oxonian Nightlife


The nightlife found in Oxford is one of my favorites in the world. The city's population is a little under 150K (not so large as to feel isolated, yet large enough that there is plenty to do) and a good many of the people are either students or work at one of the colleges. The top two pictures are from The Bridge (the first one on the dancefloor after one of the last days of school and the second during Abdulla Ayyaf's birthday party in the VIP Lounge), a nightclub renowned for their dancing on Wed. and Sat. nights. The middle two photos are from various Thurs. evenings at Mood, a fairly regular occurence. The Liberal Arts programme at St. Clare's did not schedule classes on Fridays, giving students the opportunity to travel a bit on the weekends, and we would frequently find ourselves at Mood, blowing off steam from the busy week on the dancefloor or relaxing on the leather couches in the VIP Lounge.




There are also, of course, many different pubs from which to choose as well, each with their own character and group of regulars who are quick to teach you some Cockney, pub etiquette, or attempt (and I do mean attempt) to explain the game of Cricket (I am still not sure that I entirely understand the game). Six Bells was across the way from the Manor and quickly became my favorite. The locals are very friendly and the staff makes you feel like a regular the second time you duck through the doorway.
The region is also home to ample plays (Shakespearean or otherwise) and musicals to suit any taste, and Carla, the student activities coordinator, can get you tickets to just about anything, at a significantly reduced price, and often times she will even give you a ride to and from the event in one of the St. Clare's vans. My favorite musical, this term, was unquestionably Ave. Q, which I saw in London, a mere hour and a half busride away (I still laugh out loud when I think about some of the songs); Stomp was a blast, (though my hands still hurt the next day from clapping-the cast was very good at getting audience participation) and I met my Belgium friends during the performance, so it will always hold a place in my heart; and I really enjoyed the spirit of the French Revolution found in Les Miserables (though I felt that at any moment Celine Dion would jump out from behind the curtain and Javert was going to stab both her and Jean Valjean for signing too much, but the girls all seemed to enjoy it).
Oxford is also a city known for its cultural diversity (I do not recall a time when I heard any less than five different languages in the city center) and their are many ethnic restaurants from which to choose. In fact, St. Clare's sponsored a number of dinners throughout the term where I met many students from other programmes, some of whom have become very good friends. And if none of these are your bag, the University has clubs, debates and lectures almost every night of the week. Needless to say, there is always something to do in Oxford!